With the Super Bowl coming up, I thought I would share some great football snack foods that feature local Texas produce!
I thought it couldn’t get any better than buffalo chicken dip (aka “crack dip,” since it’s just that addictive), but this is fantastic! It’s a riff off of jalapeno poppers, so it’s got those same smoky/spicy flavors, but in a warm, cheesy dip form. The only change I made was to increase the amount of bacon from 4 to 6 strips (that was a no-brainer), and to cook the onion mixture in bacon grease (also a no-brainer).
I should mention that when I’m heading over to someone else’s house, I usually make my goodies in disposable aluminum pans. Though they’re not the sturdiest things out there, they usually come with a lid and there’s no clean-up, making it easier for me and the host. They’re also oven-safe, so you can prepare the dip at home and bake it when you get to your destination.
I think this would also be great with some cilantro or chives sprinkled on top after baking, if you have some!
From Evil Shenanigans
- 6 strips of bacon
- 1/2 c. onion, finely diced (I used half of a red onion that came in our Local Box)
- 2 jalapenos, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 2/3 c. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 c. grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 c. pickled jalapenos, chopped
- 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until it’s crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add the onion, jalapenos, garlic, bacon and cumin to the bacon grease and saute until the onions begin to soften. Remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Add cheddar cheese, 1/2 c. parmesan cheese and chopped pickled jalapenos. Add the sauteed ingredients and stir to combine.
- Spread the dip into a casserole dish and top with the panko, 1/4 c. parmesan cheese and paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then cool for 5 minutes before eating with tortilla chips.