As soon as I mixed up this salad, the colors screamed ‘Valentine’s Day’! Yes, literally.
I know it’s only January, but as I’ve reminded my husband, V-day IS only four weeks away! And it is Never too early to start planning for these things.
I’m not a fan of the idea of a DIY Valentine’s dinner. I’m always eager to get out of the house for V-day. But if you or your honey is the type who likes to whip up a romantic steak (grass-fed of course) dinner, this salad would be a lovely addition to the menu. Might want to pin the recipe for later.
Or make it for lunch or dinner today! Heck, you could even sprinkle on some goat cheese or feta to give it a protein/yum boost. However and whenever you decide to make it, I promise you will enjoy it. It is delish!
1 bunch beets, roasted*
grapefruit segments from 1 grapefruit (orange will also work here)
3 T. fresh grapefruit juice
small bunch of fresh mint leaves, minced
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. olive oil
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. black pepper
2 Tbsp minced onion or shallot, optional
* To roast beets: Scrub under running water. Cut in half, sprinkle with olive oil and salt, and wrap in a foil pouch. Set on cookie sheet and roast at 400 degrees for 40 min. to 1 hr. (until fork tender. Let cool until they are comfortable to handle.
1. While still warm, peel the skin of beets (skins should slip off easily), and cut into bite-sized chunks.
2. Whisk together the grapefruit juice, vinegar, mint leaves, onion or shallot (if using), olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. Toss with the beets and grapefruit segments in the dressing mixture.
5. Garnish with fresh mint (plus sunflower greens or microgreens, if you have them!) and serve while warm.
Note on making ahead: Feel free to roast beets days in advance. Store them with the dressing and add minced shallot. Marinated beets are delicious! When you’re ready to serve, mix with grapefruit and garnish with mint.