Are you thinking what I’m thinking? I mean the tomato, sweet onion, avocado, cilantro, and hot peppers in this week’s local box MUST mean we’re eating something southwestern this weekend, right? Throw in some of those tasty-looking potatoes and a leftover lime from last week’s box and let’s make it a delicious, creamy, dairy-free potato salad! Yeah!
Creamy Vegan Southwestern Potato Salad
2 medium potatoes
2 t. salt
1/2 medium sweet onion
1 Anaheim pepper (the lighter colored variety-mild)
1 jalapeno pepper (the dark green ones-hot)
1 T. minced cilantro
1 juicy lime
2 T. water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
chili powder for garnish
cilantro for garnish
1. Fill a saucepan with water, add 2 t. salt and the potatoes. Boil for @ 35 minutes or until soft but still firm in center when tested with a fork.
2. Remove potatoes from water and allow to cool.
3. Finely chop the sweet onion.
4. Finely chop and seed the hot peppers.
5. Mince cilantro.
6. Peel potatoes and cut into small chunks.
7. Gently toss together the potatoes, onions, peppers, and cilantro (be careful not to mash the potatoes-I find it easiest to use my hands).
8. To make the avocado dressing, cut and seed the avocado.
9. Combine with juice from the lime, water, garlic, 1 t. salt, and black pepper in a blender or Vitamix and blend until smooth and creamy.
10. Just before serving, cut the tomato and toss gently with the potato mixture.
11. Add avocado dressing and toss gently to coat.
12. Garnish with chili powder and cilantro.
13. If you want to get really fancy (and non-vegan), sprinkle with a few slices of crumbled bacon! Makes it even yummier!