No matter how you slice it, life without avocados would be the pits! Each year, the brief Texas avocado season is the highlight of my winter. While the rest of the country endures snow and sleet, I enjoy copious amounts of guacamole and bask in the Texas sun. These months– and local avocados– are what I think of when people ask me why I love living in Central Texas.
We’re coming into our third straight week of avocados in the Local Box. If you’ve tired of guacamole, here are 10 ideas for using up the bounty! Thanks to our customers on Facebook who suggested these recipes and ideas!
1. Annie H. suggests making chipotle avocado mayo.Combine 1 avocado, 1 tbs mayo, and 1/4-1/2 tsp of chipotle chili powder. “Smash it up together, and it’s delicious on BLT’s or turkey sandwiches,” she writes.
2. “I love avocado smoothies,” wrote Apryl D. She recommends blending together 1 avocado, milk, local honey and cocoa powder for a rich morning treat.
3. Another avocado smoothie recipe: combine 1 avocado, 1 pear, a handful of spinach, a banana, and some almond milk in a blender. Process it until the mixture is smooth, and enjoy ahealthy green smoothie. Che Angela S. called this recipe the Breakfast of Champions!
4. For dinner, try Giada De Laurentis’ recipe for Linguine with Avocado and Arugula , suggests Yvette B. I think this recipe would be outstanding prepared with cilantro instead of basil and served over cilantro corn pappardelle, Greenling’s fresh pasta selection for next week!
5. How about using avocado in a dessert? A few folks suggested this sweet treatment of the fruit, and a quick search online revealed this recipe for Nutella avocado brownies. Be still, my heart.
6. Alisa V. S. offers another avocado dessert– the Avocado Pie.The idea of using avocado in a key-lime-style pie is new to me, but G&S Groves limes can make anything taste good, so I am going to give this one a try!
7. Of course, no discussion of avocados would be complete without at least one guacomole idea. “Cumin and orange do magical things to guac,” writes Elizabeth W.
8. Grapefruit, oranges, jalapenos and avocado come together beautifully in this recipe for Grapefruit & Avocado Salsa , suggested by Sam S. I think that looks especially nice with fish or chicken and a glass of white wine.
9. Speaking of chicken, Laurie H. had a great idea for cooking avocados: “Peel one and stuff it in a Cornish game hen,” she offers. “Cook and devour!”
10. Finally, the most popular suggestion for eating lots of avocados was to simply slice them and served them plain, or dressed with a little salt.
However you decide to enjoy your local avocados, do it quick– we’ve only got a few weeks left in this year’s local avocado season!