My box doesn’t arrive until Wednesday. When it comes, I plan to spend a few minutes sorting through its contents and preparing them to wait a few days before use. Here’s my plan:
- Place peaches, tomatoes (both kinds), and cantaloupe on the counter to finish ripening.
- Rinse the lettuce and store in an airtight container. My favorite method is to soak the torn leaves right in my salad spinner, spin gently to rinse away any dirt, then drain and spin a couple of times to get rid of excess water. I then put the whole spinner in the fridge and use the lettuce as I need it.
- Store the okra, squash, eggplant, and cucumber in the fridge’s crisper drawer.
- Stash the potatoes in a cupboard where it’s dark — then *try* not to forget about them!
- Rinse and spin dry (in a salad spinner) the basil, then store it in a lidded container with a paper towel to absorb excess moisture. Do the same with the sunflower sprouts.
These immediate steps will ensure that these goods keep while I figure out what to do with them. Come back Wednesday to see what I’ll be cooking! Right now I’m dreaming of fresh peaches on yogurt for breakfast, salads with basil and tomatoes, roasted okra, pickled cucumber…