Cucumbers are one of my favorite things about summer. They’re cool and easy to use and you can even grow them in space! (Don’t worry, the ones in the Local Box are from closer to home than that.) Still, unless I want to eat refrigerator pickles all summer I need to figure out what else I’m planning to make with all the cukes that come my way this season. Here are ten ideas:
1. Add thin slices of cucumber to a pitcher of water and refrigerate. After a few hours, voila! Refreshing cucumber water.
2. Make a Lean Green Smoothie by blending together a sliced cucumber, 3 cups of chopped honeydew melon, 3 cups of ice cubes, and a handful of fresh mint. Garnish with mint and a slice of cucumber.
3. Let the kids help make Cucumber Raita. Kids can grate half a cucumber and mix it with 8 ounces of yogurt and a sprinkle of garlic powder. Grown-up should slice the remaining cucumber, plus additional veggies such as radishes, carrots or squash. Dip the crudite in the raita for an inexpensive, healthy summer snack.
4. Sandwich sliced cucumbers and cream cheese between slices of rye bread for pretty Cucumber Tea Sandwiches.
5. If you get tired of drinking cucumber water, switch to these Cucumber Basil Mojitos.
6. Add chopped cucumber and a teaspoon of dried dill to your favorite salsa recipe for Cucumber Salsa. (Here’s a good place to start if you don’t have a favorite salsa recipe.)
7. Garnish something with Cucumber Flowers.
8. Use your cukes and some apples to make this exfoliating sugar bath scrub. Drink some cucumber water while you’re in the tub and place some chilled cucumber slices over your eyes for a complete spa experience!
9. Prepare Ellie Krieger’s recipe for Light Cucumber Salad with English cucumbers, red onions and fresh dill in a tangy sweet vinaigrette.
10. As soon as local watermelon come into season, use them along with cucumber to make Watermelon Cucumber Popsicles.